Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday Weigh-Ins Suck the Big One

I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.  
Howdy, Kristin here.  I'm up a pound today from last Monday.  I gave up weighing myself every day, because it was kind of stupid.  Up, down.  Up, down.  I figured one humiliation per week was enough.
I'm coming off of four Large Eating Events that all occurred within the past week.  (CRIKEY!)  A jewelry party at my sister's house, a retirement party for the parents, my hubby's birthday party, and this past weekend we were in Bloomington Friday night and Saturday afternoon.  Lots of great food and drink, at all four events.  My problem is... it seems like there are Food Events ALL. THE. TIME. when I'm trying to lose weight.
I'm not the kind of person who can go to a party and chew on a celery stick while the person next to me inhales my Chex Mix.  Sorry, people.
Even when I try to reign it in at these frequent events, I don't do very well.  

I'm trying to remain positive, but it's really tough.  I don't FEEL positive.  I'm in need of some major "uplifting;" that's why I read this blog, because it really helps to know I'm not the only one doing this horrible crap every day.  So thanks, ladies, for the posts and the encouragement.  I still write on my other blog every Monday, but that one tends to end up sounding like me muttering to myself or to the wall; I get off on some pretty wild tangents sometimes.......

One tip that I've been trying again that seems to help over-all is sticking to the four "Golden Rules" of dieting, which have served me well in the past:

1.  Eat ONLY when hungry.
2.  Eat consciously.  (Savor every bite, don't eat while doing other activities or when distracted, etc.)
3.  Eat whatever you want.
4.  STOP eating when satisfied.

It sounds wacky, but it's logical when you think about it.  First of all, a lot of diets tell us that sometimes when we THINK we're hungry, we're actually thirsty or dehydrated.  So now, when I start to feel "hungry," I'm going to have a cup of tea and wait a half hour.  Often my "hunger" disappears.  

Second, I am SO guilty of speed-eating and eating while multi-tasking.  I have stripped all of the joy from my eating experiences.  I am determined to cook more, use my awesome cookbooks more, put more thought and preparation into meal planning, and stopping my cycle of random, unconscious, OBLIVIOUS eating for no reason.  


Eating whatever I want will be no problem; YAY.  I will probably have the toughest time with #4.  I have a LOT of trouble stopping myself from eating double or triple (OR MORE!) portions of foods that I love.  I have no problem eating an entire bag of microwave popcorn, for example.  (500+ calories!!!)  I know I need to weigh and measure and count my calories religiously if I'm ever going to lose and keep my weight off, and I need to learn how to be happy and satisfied in moderation.  I think this will be the biggest key to my success.


Onward, ladies...!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment