Wednesday, September 14, 2011

This is totally blog-worthy...

Lisa gave me this recipe titled "Gluten Free Protein Pancakes".  Protein pancakes?  What are they made outta... shredded steak??  It doesn't really sound too good, does it?  She even acknowledged that fact and said she should change the name to "Super Awesome Delicious Pancakes". 

Finally - FINALLY- I broke down today and made them. 

O.M.G.  ohhhmygawd!!!   How can something this good be so good for you??  I will never make pancakes the old way again.  No way.

Here's the recipe:

1/2 C Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats
1 small banana or 1/2 C blueberries
3/4 C egg white substitutes or 4 egg whites

Blend in a Magic Bullet or blender until smooth.  Cook on a griddle for 3-4 minutes/side.  Top with fruit or real maple syrup.

Makes 1 serving - calories: 330 /  3 g. fat  /  24 g. protein   /  53g. carbs

OK, I used just regular rolled oats (Bob's Red Mill brand), and 2 whole eggs instead of the egg whites.  (lovely cage free eggs)  and I added just a smidge - a tiny smidge - of flour cuz I thought it seemed just a little too runny. 

Flippin awesomeness!  They are very dense and extremely filling.  Unlike eating regular Bisquick pancakes which make my blood sugar jump thru the roof and a half hour later I need a 4 hour nap , I felt good all afternoon long.  I wasn't even hungry for my afternoon snack.  (although I didn't skip it...if I get the chance to eat, I'm eatin'!)

For the record, I just had my measurements taken again and there are 12.25 inches less of me to go around.  That's a whole lotta flabby flabbines that is no longer there.   She measures the circumference of my neck, shoulders, bust, waist, hips, thighs, knees, and ankles...  they are all shrinking.  I'm wearing clothes that I haven't worn in ages.  I feel awesome.  I have energy.  I don't need 6 to 8 Advil a day to take away the soreness in my knees and back and neck and...  I've been riding my bike 10 miles and I don't need ibuprofen just to be able to walk up the stairs???  What's different??  I think it's because I've cut out a lot of that inflammatory response inducing crap out of my diet.   Don't need it!

3 comments:

  1. This recipe sound delish - I'm trying it!!! Thanks for sharing!!! I'm gonna try to find the gluten-free Bob's oats, because my hubby follows the blood-type diet as closely as he can, and gluten messes him up and bogs him down... and he has a marathon to skate on Saturday, so I wanna make him a few energy-inducing meals before then! Thanks again!

    P.S. I've had three great days of sticking to healthy eating, and 1200 calories each day. Today was my first elliptical workout in about 2 weeks. It felt more like 2 YEARS. Tomorrow's New Book Club meeting #1. At Old Chicago bar and chocolate-chip-cookie buffet. Who approved this plan? Gonna have to bring my own spray dressing and fat free parmesan cheese and order the yummiest-looking salad I can find. And not drink margaritas the whole time.

    And Saturday is the OMG-I'm-turn-43 taco buffet at my sis's place. I've requested a "cake" built out of those little frozen eclairs. Hence, the extra effort the rest of this week...!!!

    Have a great Thursday through Sunday, chickies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. You're DOING SO AWESOME, ANNE!!!!!!!!
    KEEP UP THE GREAT EFFORT!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kristin! Btw...you are the best wife ever for making your hubby pancakes!

    ReplyDelete