Friday, September 9, 2011

I Think I Can I Think I Can I Think I Can

Hey girlie-Q's - Kristin here.  A question:  Have any of you ever seen the "Four Golden Rules of Dieting?"  They're supposed to be the "no-brainer" approach to losing weight.  They sound something like this:

1. When You Are Hungry, Eat
2. Eat What You Want, Not What You Think You Should
3. Eat Consciously And Enjoy Every Mouthful
4. When You Think You Are Full, Stop Eating

It sounds valid, yes?  It doesn't dictate what to eat, or how much to eat; it doesn't make you weigh portions or count calories incessantly.  It doesn't limit you to "diet-friendly foods; you're supposed to eat whatever you're craving!  But it tells you to eat consciously, which means not while driving, not in front of the t.v. or laptop, and not while multi-tasking, period.  You're supposed to sit, savor and drool over every mouthful, thereby eating slower and allowing yourself the chance to really notice when you're full.  Supposedly, this stops you from eating too much, which is the theory behind eating whatever you want, but just a small portion of it.  Then, to wrap it all up, it tells you to simply stop when you start to feel full.  I think there is a general belief that a normal person wouldn't eat 52 smallish portions of Doritos and chocolate cake, in the absence of any "real" food, while following these rules too literally...!

I can do this.  If I combine the above "rules" with my very long list of healthy, high-protein, high-fiber, low-carb, healthy-fat, and calorie-free beverages, how can I fail?

I do have to say one thing about the "Carb-Addict's Diet," which I have praised before... The "Reward Meal" still works for me.  Even when I don't count every calorie during a day, if I eat dinner before 7:00 p.m., and if I keep that meal to within an hour, I can still eat anything I want during that hour - including dessert! - and the pounds still come off.  This works even without regular workouts (for me), but it works even faster/better when I'm getting 3-4 hours of cardio in per week!  (For me, cardio means elliptical or treadmill...)  

The scientific claim behind why this works has to do with your body metabolizing foods together that are consumed together, or something like that.  If I eat a chunk of cake with my vegetarian chili, and I eat them within a short period of time, they'll BOTH be metabolized when my fat-burners kick in to zap the chili - my metabolism isn't going to only burn off the chili ingredients and leave the cake bits behind to coagulate there; it's all mixed together.  This makes huge amounts of sense to me!  And the Carb-Addict's people say so, so...    LOL.

I'm completely sick and tired of counting calories.  I've been counting ALMOST EVERY DAY since 1999.  That's a lot of frickin' little slips of paper with calorie lists on them.  Something like 4380 lists.  Which I have kept most of.  They're scattered all over my office.  For what?!  I am not a hoarder.

I'm still writing down what and when I eat, to help me get through my days without eating too much or too often.  I need to do this.  It keeps me motivated, keeps me accountable, keeps me on-track.  My only real danger time of day is after dinner time.  I'm still REALLY fighting the urge to pig-out in the late evening, EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.  I eat plenty (and sometimes too much) during the day, and I space out my mini-meals evenly, and I'm making sure to get enough protein and fiber, and I'm drinking lots of water.  I don't feel I'm hungry in the evening because of any of those things being skipped or forgotten during the day.  I'm still trying to figure this out.  <sigh>

Have a great weekend, chicas!!!  THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!!!

And now, my little weekend prezzie to you:  While you're munching your snap peas, you can drool over Alcide!  OMG, Joe Manganiello!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment