Saturday, January 7, 2012

Insert a new program into the Matrix.

(Anne can't take credit for that line...  It's one of my coach's favorite one-liners.)

Remember this lady:

STOP THE INSANITY!!!

I never really listened to her shpeel and I'm not promoting her gig, but isn't that slogan so very true?  Stop the insanity!

As in, STOP DOING THIS TO YOURSELF!  That's kinda where I'm at right now.  It's not just about weight loss for me anymore.  WHY do I do this to myself?  WHY do I eat these things that are essentially toxic to me? 

Here's what I'm finally getting.  Sugar is bad for Momma.  It's only taken 4 months of coaching from Lisa for me to actually get it.  Sugar (be it refined white sugar or in the forms of carbs that instantly turn into sugar in my system) doesn't just make me fat.  It drives me crazy.  It contributes to my depression and anxiety.  It hijacks my brain with these unbelievably strong and irresistible cravings to the point of not being able to think about anything but "I GOTTA HAVE IT NOW!!" then leaves me with painful withdrawal symptoms.  Headaches, body aches, an overall sluggish-ness, and then I turn into Debbie Downer.  So, how do I pick myself up?  More sugar and the cycle continues.  STOP IT!

I'm on day 7 of no wheat and have been really making a huge effort to cut out all refined sugars.  I think clearly.  I'm happy, but not manic-crazy happy.  I sleep better.   More tolerant and patient.   Motivation is there.  I'm sitting here feeling excited about my day!   I can't wait to go exercise!

So I now know this and believe in it.  I know that I will have a long battle with cravings.  It is an addiction.  But before I eat or drink something, I'm really going to ask myself "What are you getting out of this?"  Is it good for me?  Yeah, I know it tastes really good, but is that enough?  Instant gratification, but later I'm I gonna be "sick"? 

Let's change our ways of thinking.  Instead of focusing on weight loss, let's focus on our overall health.  Isn't that more important?  I don't want to have Type II diabetes, or high blood pressure, or inflammatory/metabolic conditions, or cancer, yada yada yada.   Those fake wheat, refined sugars and man made "good for you oils" will cause that stuff.  The weight will come off, and that's only one of the many benefits of taking care of yourself.  Sure it tastes great, but is it worth it?

Another positive note, last night after my lovely relaxing bath I noticed a good change in my body.  I didn't have that flubby wubby feeling.  I don't look 7 months preggers.  Hey, what's that?  I have deltoids!  Real definition in my delts!!  Seeing the physical results is a HUGE motivator to keep working out.  Finally!!  It IS working!! 

And I had BACON for breakfast.  Real, thick cut from the butcher, good bacon.  And eggs.  And fresh fruit in my yogurt.  I'm not sitting here with the shakes or the need to lay down in bed.  I'm ready for the day.

Hey, have you tried real peanut butter?  You know, just peanuts and salt?  No extra added oils or sugars?  I freakin' love this stuff and it put the kabash on my sugar craving yesterday afternoon.  BAM!  I'm talkin' TKO.  I added a little coconut oil to my spoonful and OH, creamy goodness. 

Kristin, you are sooo right.  Eat REAL food.  If you're going to have fat, make it real fat.  If you're going to have dairy, have real dairy.   I put real half and half in my limited amount of coffee.  There's no added sugars or "natural" flavorings... no modifications there.   And not a half of a pint either.  And ice cream is not dairy.  I think the added sugars nix the nutritional value of the cream.  dammit.

Time to get my day going - hope you all have a good and successful weekend!




2 comments:

  1. EXACTLY! You're doing exactly what I'm doing. REAL food, period. One ingredient if possible, and no chemicals or preservatives if possible. And the sad fact is... it's ALWAYS POSSIBLE.

    Today I've had two cups of tea, an avocado with a little of my fave McCormick's Red Bell Pepper & Garlic seasoning sprinkled on it, my toddler's leftover apple chunks and grapes, two boiled egg whites, and a cup of Spicy V8 juice. It's almost 2:00 p.m. and I am not the tiniest bit hungry. Next, I'll eat up my leftover baked chicken from Thursday with a little brown rice, and I'll be full until bedtime. It's CRAZY. I've lost 6 pounds in 11 days. And even though some of that is water weight (because nobody loses 6 ACTUAL pounds of fat in 11 days...) I still feel great and I have loads of energy and my mood is better and I don't feel bogged down by sluggishness!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. QUOTE:
    "... before I eat or drink something, I'm really going to ask myself "What are you getting out of this?" Is it good for me? Yeah, I know it tastes really good, but is that enough? Instant gratification, but later I'm I gonna be "sick"? "

    I'm starting to ask myself something similar about my food choices: "Will this food make me feel better IN A HOUR OR TOMORROW?" If the answer is "No," then I should avoid it.

    ReplyDelete